Friday, December 18, 2009

My Mom's French Toast

Pardon me while I take a short break from international recipes to share with you my mom's French toast which I had while visiting home earlier this month. This was hands down the best French toast I have ever had. My mom doesn't measure when she cooks anything so the measurements for this recipe are approximations.


4-6 slices of good bread (4 for bigger slices, 6 for smaller slices)
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon sugar
grated orange peel from 1/4 of an orange
a good squeeze of juice from 1/4 of an orange
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
powdered sugar for sprinkling
butter and oil for pan

Instructions:
Place a large skillet over medium heat with about 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of oil. In a shallow bowl combine the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon sugar, orange peel, orange juice, and nutmeg; mix with a wire whisk. Dip each slice of bread into the mixture, giving it a good soak on each side before placing it in the skillet. Fry on each side until golden, remove to plate, and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with butter and warm maple syrup.

Variation: Try making this with different kinds of bread such as cinnamon swirl bread or home made thick-cut white bread.

Yield: Serves 2.

No comments: